Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Full Day

The day is drawing to a close, and what a full day indeed. My day began this morning with church. Pastor Steve Jackson preached from II Timothy 2:3-7. The text is a good reminder as I head into 2009 that I need to be living as:

1. A Soldier - one who has a singular focus = to please God. No matter how hard, how unpopular or what damage it might cause on a human level I need to make it my aim to Him and Him alone.

2. An Athlete - one who runs this race with integrity and obeys God. There are many shortcuts in life that can be taken to gain instant wealth, fame and pleasure. But all of them would be a slap in the face of God. He has clearly said that if you Love Me You Will Keep My Commands.

3. A Farmer - one who toils and labors for the fruit of the harvest. The farmer puts in great effort to reap the rewards of the field.


My day ended with a reading of Mark 13. Jesus' words are clearly a warning in verses 35-37. These few verses read:

"Therefore stay awake - for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning - lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. And what I say to you I say to all: 'Stay Awake.'" (ESV)

Does the beginning of my day and the end of my day have anything in common? I think so. If I am living as a soldier, an athlete, a farmer than I will be ready and will not be caught off guard when Jesus returns.

Lord help me to be ready. And return Quickly!

Jason

No comments: