Thursday, March 18, 2010

Musing on Moving


The Lord recently picked us up and moved us out to Texas. This has been an amazing process of watching His hand at work and resting on His sovereignty in all things. We loved our many years (for Jason, his whole life) in Southern California, and now we are looking forward to what the Lord has for us here in Texas. Should anyone who doesn't already know the story like to hear about all the details that God orchestrated to get us to where we are today, staying with a lovely family in Hurst, Texas not far from Dallas, we would be happy to bring you up to speed at any time. Suffice it to say that there has been no doubt in our minds as we have taken each step east.
Last Thursday we had a number of good California friends come and spend their day helping us pack a giant moving truck - thank you to those who came. Amazingly enough, even though our house was a mere 1,100 sq. ft. there was much that got left behind - Thank you Mary for having a garage sale for all of our homeless things. But I guess that's how we're supposed to move ahead, saying good-bye to those things which are going to hold us back. Jason did come into the house at one time last Thurs. to tell me that I was going to have to decide between my rocking chair and the red chair that his mom gave us, that my kids love; and that really we wouldn't even get to bring our chair and a half as nothing was fitting. At that moment, I realized that I had to give my "stuff" to the Lord and if nothing came with me to Texas than He would give me what I needed. After all, it's just stuff. It was all the living room furniture we had as we got rid of our couch already. As I wrestled with letting go of my things, those great men out in the truck wrestled with my furniture and just as I gave it up and said "ok Lord, I trust you to give me what I need" Jason came in and said "They did it, they got it all in." Thank you men and thank the Lord that He gives us all good things and we didn't come empty.
We said good-bye to our dear neighbors and friends early Friday morning, loaded the van up with children, snacks, books, movies and music and drove out of our neighborhood. It's a great neighborhood and we were blessed by our years there. We will miss Miss Sherri, the kids preschool teacher just down the street. And we will miss seeing the Gutmans backyard from our front yard. We will miss our wonderful teachers Mrs. Reimbold and Mrs. Goossens, two of whom couldn't have been more wonderful for our girls. Yet, forgetting what lies behind we press on to what lies ahead. Not forgetting what was good as we will always love these dear people who are still in Cal., but not letting such dear memories hinder us from following the hand of God.

We are excited to be here in Texas. We will gladly welcome, as I am leaning most Texans do, anyone who wants to come visit us here. Maybe you'll find God's hand moving you here too. You never know what He's going to do. I read in James this morning that verse that many of us know, "Instead, you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.'" Jason and I never saw Texas coming but when the Lord wills and we obey then we are pleasing to Him and we trust His hand of blessing. Love to our dear friends in California and love to our new friends in Texas. May our roads merge to make a path that follows after God and brings Him pleasure.

2 comments:

gutmanfam said...

Hmmm...seems I'm getting hit with the "trust God's sovereignty" theme a lot recently. Thanks for posting about your move/journey. We love and miss you guys!!!

Karen's Korner said...

Your pictures made us excited and sad. Loved you pictures and we look forward to visiting you in TX when we get home from Japan. We love you so much!!