Saturday, November 1, 2008

Love is not Rude

I am reading through Alexander Strauch's book "Leading with Love." The book encourages leaders in the church to make sure they are leading with hearts full love. However, the book is applicable to all who would read it, not just church leaders. Strauch uses as his main text I Corinthians 13, the classic chapter on love. I was struck silent, no doubt at the thought of doing the very things mentioned, at the following paragraph:

"Christlike love is to influence all behaviors, and Scripture tells us that love is not rude; it does not 'behave with ill-mannered impropriety.' The verb for 'rude' conveys the idea of acting disgracefully, contrary to established standards of proper conduct and decency. Thus inappropriate dress, inconsiderate talk, disregard for other people's time and moral conscience, taking advantage of people, tactlessness, ignoring the contributions and ideas of others, running roughshod over other's plans and interests, inappropriate behavior with the opposite sex, basic discourtesy and rudeness, and a general disregard for proper social conduct are all evidence of a lack of love and have no place in the local church."
(Strauch, 59)
Jason

1 comment:

Steve said...

I thought the quote you shared was very apropos for this day and age, even in the church. We can think we're so spiritual, and yet rudeness reeks from our cheeks -- and everywhere else! And when I say "we" I'm not using the word to mean everyone but me, but rather "some people, a lot of people, and sadly, including me." Thanks, Lord (and son Jay), for the timely reproof. And oh, hey Jason, may I borrow the book when you're done with it? -- Love you, Pop