Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sanctity of Human Life Sunday

Today is Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. With shame and hope I offer up the following prayer.

Father and Creator of the universe and all of us.

Thank you for your many blessing, especially the blessing of forgiven sin. I confess to you Father that I forgot that today we would celebrate the sanctity of human life. I confess that I don’t give the subject the time and effort that it deserves. Lord, no doubt the abortion of an unborn life, the extinguishing of a life that is disabled, or the willful ending of a life that is deemed “not worthy to live” is a stench to your nostrils and a stain to your eyes. How you must hate it and I confess that I have not shown that I care much about the subject. Forgive me for that sin.

Lord, I also come before you and confess the sin of our nation. We as a nation have made a profession of killing people. Thousands of people die each and every day because we deem them to be not worth the trouble. Mothers don’t want the inconvenience of raising a child of your creation. The fathers, many times, go right along and are complicit in this murder. Many parents choose to terminate a child in the womb because they have found out the baby will be born, but born with a incurable disease, or born mentally retarded, or won’t live longer than a year or two. Countless elderly are looked upon as being a drain on their families and on society. They are convinced that all would be better if they were simply gone, so they seek out means to “die with dignity.” Forgive us for cheapening life, cheapening your creation.

I humbly ask Lord that not only would you grant us forgiveness, but also grant us eyes to see the truth. You have said in your word:

13For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.14I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.16Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

Lord, grant this very knowledge to our governing officials and judges/justices who serve our country. May they see the truth of the value of every single human life, from conception until death.

I pray that you would also open the eyes of every single woman, who is today considering terminating their pregnancy for whatever reason. Change their hearts oh God!

Grant courage and boldness to all Christians to stand up for the truth of your Word. The culture we live in is heading in one direction on this issue: Continued Murder. May we stand against that current and be a shining beacon of truth, Your Truth.

Jason

No comments: